May 8, 2009
UDT mod by R.S.
Basically, I started out using a Japanese pull saw to trim the end and side rails, then a chisel to carve out a middle rain, followed by a lot of sanding till I went from "acoustic" hand labor to the electrical solution.
I busted out the Black n Decker 'dragster' electric planer on the UDT's. I think I've finally lost enough rubber and have the right flex for my feeble sticks to handle these now.
It was an interesting sculptural pursuit. It would be nice to model a pair of ultimate fins in clay and have them cast in rubber...some day!
I used them today and the flex seems suited to a longer kick for my size etc. I feel like they sit somewhere between a full UDT and a Viper fin. I kept the angle profile on the sides and just lost a lot of rubber whilst maintaining the fin design. I like how the blue marbling comes out when you taper the blade out thinner.
Nice session this morning at ****** **** with Ryan. The UDT's are now near perfect, and sweet on the ankles!