Oct 4, 2012

From David...

 

1942 - looks like mats at the beach rental (SW of Center)... 

I take day trips from Philadelphia to Ocean City New Jersey when the forecast looks good.
It’s just a bit more than an hour down the AC expressway.  
 
That’s me riding a mat in OCNJ around 1960...


 
 
Classic Ocean City New Jersey guest house around 1960...
 

 
Mid-60s at the Inlet Delaware...
 
 
 
My family spent much of the summer in the Inlet camp ground. The Inlet was best when it was run by the hi-way department and there was a bar for them to hang at. That allowed for a great culture of surfers, fishermen, bikers and the likes.. it had a 24x7 buzz. I got a Hobie 9’6” in 1965 when I was 12.
 
My little brother Bob says that we also rode canvas mats and plywood skim boards that doubled as paipos but I only recall riding longboards. The south side of the inlet had a faster left that lent itself to prone riding...maybe I had transcendental experiences on the canvas mats there.

60s Surf Mobile...



My older surf buddy Fred had a 48 De Soto that was eventually equipped with an 8 track.  Here I am with a girlfriend en-route from the DE Inlet to Northern Assateague.  We paddled our friends across the Ocean City MD Inlet on our longboards.  Life was good as a teenager.

More recently ..
 
 

...getting tubed in Orlando and time shifted to the present.  
  
Current Quiver...
 

(left) 4GF Vespa, Seaglass Tuna with 1960s plywood snow board w/ V bottom, 52” Austin Paipo, 4GF Mini and mid 1980s Mach 7-7.  I mostly ride the mini in typical E-coast surf these days. I get the Vespa out when there is more setup time available and glide becomes more important than quick take off. 

Buxton, NC...
 
 


In addition to day trips to NJ I spend vacations on Assateague and Buxton NC each year and travel when I can.  Costa Rica is next.

Full circle...back to Ocean City, New Jersey in the old days. Notice the mat or paipo rider!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: