Aug 9, 2015

From David ...



Got to ride the mat in some fun midnight surf in Hoddevik Norway.  It gets really interesting in the fall and winter. 
 
I also got to row a wooden boat at Fjaerland that was used by a minister in the 30s to rotate among churches.

We were in Norway 2 full  weeks. It is magnificent!   I only spent a couple days at Hoddevik.  This was actually a non-surfing trip selected by my wife to offset any real or imagined surf obsessions I might have. But, If we were going to see the Norway coast anyway .. Why not take a mat?
 
Hoddevick has surfer oriented lodging and rentals.  I only rented a wet suit.  The gulf stream finds it way there so it is not as cold as you would think. There are other spots to the south and on the Arctic.  They are doable in the fall and winter with more serious wet suits when overhead is common and it can go 3X. In the summer you can generally expect fun surf at best but OH is forecast for this week. This summer was  generally weak.  The locals are friendly, fun loving and intense
 
I really want to go back for a winter surf trip. The surf gods are calling me.  This place is magic.
 
 
David

4 comments:

tuskedbeast said...

It looks magical! if by any chance you've made a blog (I know, very 2005), I'd love to read it.

David from Philly said...

I have some more on Facebook. Relay your FB name via Paul and I will send you an invite.
David

Richard in SB said...

Wonderful story. Norway--who knew? Nice move bringing your mat along, even on a "non-surf" trip. Love to see some pics of waves...

tuskedbeast said...

Hey David, I'm not on FB but thanks!