Tremor and I decided today would be a good day to hit up the location of the last L.A. mat meet. The waves seemed a bit weak and pointless on first glance. We still kicked/paddled out nonetheless. Tremor wanted to try out his new UDT. I just wanted to ride my mat. And a funny thing happened while I was assuming the session would be mediocre.
The waves got kind of good! Then, I spied someone onshore with . . . what's this? . . a mat!! Marvin!!
And then there were three.
We proceeded to crack up both ourselves and the surfers. The crowd was mellow and nice. That doesn't mean, of course, they were nice enough not to drop in on us or not snake our waves. I've noticed that people think surf etiquette doesn't apply to those of us on mats. Nonetheless, we had more fun than I could ever begin to describe.
One of my highlights was when Tremor gave his mat to a girl on a surfboard. Although she didn't have fins, she still managed to catch a wave. I could hear her screaming and giggling as she found a wave that hurtled her toward the shore.
I'm tempted to say that this was the most fun I've had on a mat. It wasn't. It was, however, the most I've laughed since . . . last Sunday's Orange County mat meet.
- Seeing Tremor find trim on a mat that's more suited to his size
- Seeing Tremor trying to steer a round tail mat that's more suited to his size
- Hearing Marvin laughing hysterically as a wave picked him up and took him away
- Getting a thumbs up from the official mat photographer after I got a nice wave
- Laughing and laughing and laughing until my stomach hurt
Pray for surf!
Photos by Ken Samuels