Mar 19, 2009

New Mat and Fippers!


I'm so super-stoked on the prototype mat that PG sent me that I had to get new flippers to go with it! There have been some fun waves down here lately, and I've been having a blast with my new toys:

The Blacktop Bluebelly mat rides great, and gets better with each session, as the fabric becomes more supple. I'm calling it the Blue Groove because the iridescent bottom fabric reminds me of when racing tracks get sticky rubber laid down and the fastest line is on the shiny "blue groove". I really like the new canvas-like heavy-duty nylon deck, which allows subtle shifting around while still providing good grip. After eight bareback surfs, I've yet to develop a canvas rash! The slightly thicker blue bottom fabric holds a line better without any loss of speed. Handling is smooth and sure with superior "suspension" to even out bumpy water. The new mat is far more robust and will probably last for a very long time. Overall, The Fatty with fresh materials is a big step forward in performance, user friendliness, and probable durability...

...As is stepping up from Tech 2 flippers to Kicks, which have a bit more power and are way more comfortable. Kicks' big brother, Da Fin, have a tiny bit more kicking speed, but Kicks are softer on my feet and the round shape is easier to maneuver with. I like the keel ridges on the sides for steering with. They float, are bright so as to retrieve them if they come off, and don't look much like anything a shark would want to eat.

Tech 2s are good for shorebreak because they drain sand out very quickly and have super-short blades for when you need to touch the bottom, run up the sand, flip around quickly... However, when I get going ultra-fast and drag my foot, Tech 2s scoop water and balloon up, causing the brakes to go on, and sometimes even pulling the flipper off. We'll see if this happens with Kicks. Da Fin don't seem to have this problem. So far, so good with my new Kicks...

I'll see if I can get someone to take some action shots this weekend.

2 comments:

nathanoj said...

Aww lookit the very Kiwi beach scene...the dune vegetation...where was this approx? Gizzie? North Isld east coast for sure.

Pahl Dixon said...

Yup, Wainui Beach, just north of Gizzie.