Apr 20, 2015

From Mat Max

After six months of use I've found that pod 3 fins are a significant step up from the excellent (except for being a bit underpowered) pod 2 flippers that I previously used for five years. 3s are about 15% more efficient, and unlike 2s, they haven't needed any modifications to stop chafing. (Although I may glue some nylon webbing around the outsides of the heel straps, as being soft and comfy, they stretch a bit when going at super speeds.)

Pod 3s have fairly fast kicking velocity (on par with Da Fins), are very very comfortable, and brilliant once up and riding because of their smooth shape and excellent side rails. They have superb drainage that quickly removes sand.

Pods 3s definitely require tethers tied short because the forgiving straps don't stay properly placed all the time. I've been going with pod because my feet are wide and have some sensitive knobs but my ankles are skinny. pod 3s have comfortable smallish ankle holes, and tons of interior space, which suits me. Once I hit the water I don't have to think about my flippers and just let them do their thing.

I'm happy with pod 3 and not looking for the next purchase, which must mean that they're pretty good. I recommend these well designed top-quality real rubber fins for most matters most of the time. (Make sure to use good tethers tied tight to the top edges of the heel straps.)

Happy matting Mates!

Pahl (Mat Max)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that,my current go to fins are Dafins which are okay most of the year but won,t take a 4mm sock. POD 2 take a 4mm sock but are underpowered for winter surfing and I don,t want to go down UDT road .