Dec 30, 2023

From Andy

 


 

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to say thanks for the mats you made me recently. 
 
I spent a lot of time debating if I should go with the Standard or the Lotus, only to eventually get both. It’s amazing how two mats can look so similar and ride so differently. 
 
I think my favorite thing about trying out mats is being back in the learning phase. 
 
I read in one of your previous posts that a fun thing to do is to ride the “wrong” mat for the conditions to help you learn about what makes each mat work, and that rings true to me.

I’ve attached a couple pictures of the lotus and standard in closer to the right conditions from the recent west coast swells.

-Andy

2 comments:

tuskedbeast said...

Whoo HOO! You're NEW to mat surfing?

David from Philly said...

I use the two mat quiver approach as well. Generally, the Omni for OH and under and the Lotus for greater than OH. But that rule of thumb is furter adjusted with duck diving and wave attributes. The Lotus duck dives better and the Omni catches waves easier if they are fat and slow.