Jun 20, 2023

From Julie

 

Hey Paul,

We finally held the Mat Surfing 101 for the Wahine Kai Women's Surf club at La Jolla Shores yesterday! We all had a great time and I think I've got some converts I will send your way down the line. I brought a plethora of mats, two were yours, one was a G-mat and the others were Redbacks and a Maddog from Australia. Those aren't great mats at all, but they have handles and are nice for teaching on. Those who are serious and want to gear up themselves, I am promoting 4th Gear all the way! 

I hope things are going well for you, Paul. We were going to do this event back in November, but I got hit by a stingray that landed me in hospital because of infection. Unfortunately, one of our ladies got stung yesterday too. Same spot I did. In fact, this was the 3rd time she'd been stung at the Shores! She still enjoyed the mat experience and said she'd love to do it again, just at a different beach!! 

Let me know your thoughts. And thank you so much for encouraging me especially in the beginning when I was getting frustrated. You told me to stick with the process and not give up. I'm very glad for that! 

Take care, Paul.

Julie Benn

1 comment:

tuskedbeast said...

Thank you, Julie, for organizing this! Best wishes to the woman who got stung- yikes, and after it happened to you! If anyone has anymore photos of this event, I know myself and others would love to see them. At the risk of sounding pretentious, and low-key as it looks, it was a milestone.