Nov 12, 2022

RIP Mike Griffin

Longtime San Diego surfer/shaper Mike Griffin passed away several weeks ago after a long battle with cancer. Several paddle outs in his honor are scheduled.





In addition to his shaping and board surfing, Mike had been a 4gf rider since 2008. 

Mike gifted one of his 4GFs to Mikey Ratt. (Shown on the right, with friend and mat ripper Scott.)

 Mikey on Mike's 4GF.
 
 
Thoughts from Mikey on Mike Griffin...
 
"I might have been his brother. Mike was a dear friend of mine, He gave me my first 4th gear, and I built him a shaping room in my shop.  I have a little record shop. I sell junk and clothes and a few surfboards, mostly used. Mike almost quit shaping, but me and my best buddy Scott built him a shaping bay in my old office. I got rid of all my shit in there and gave the space to mike .. he taught me so much about surfing-shaping & life and how to a better person.. I read him the little interview we did when he was in hospice..he lit up when I told him I finally made the zine and did a Q & A with PG…. I still have and ride the mat he gave me."




1 comment:

tuskedbeast said...

Condolences to his friends and family. Thank you Mikey for the writing about your friend, and for supporting him. His boards look beautiful... treasures now.